I wanted to share a little bit about what I do day-to-day and give you a little glimpse into my world as a freelance artist. Everyday is quite different and I love that about my life and career.
What does the life of a freelance makeup artist and hairstylist look like?
Let me talk about two types of work days as a freelance artist: The admin work day and the on-location work day.
+A Typical Work Day:
- The Admin work:
- Most mornings starts off with checking emails, responding to inquiries/clients, setting up wedding contracts, making a schedule or timeline of services for clients. Sometimes, it's jumping on a call with an event planner, photographer or bride to finalize details, taking inventory of products and restocking my kit etc...
- I love to spend time creating content or taking online classes to learn new techniques and perfect my skills. Recently, I've been creating blog posts and creating content for instagram and youtube. I must say, social media has been an amazing tool for connecting with others and showcasing my work.
- On-location days:
- Most weddings or photoshoot days start in the early morning (sometimes they can start as early as 4 am). Once on location, I take about 15 minutes or so on setting up the work station. Makeup artists and hairstylists, such as myself, bring their own kit, a directors chair, lighting, tools and other implements along that they need for that particular job.
- Then, I take a look at the schedule of services and call over the first client. Each service takes about 45 minutes-1 hour and between each client we sanitize our station and brushes for the next one.
- These days are typically long & most of it is spent on our feet. Some clients book for the whole day, others a half day.
- Full days can be for photoshoots where we are doing multiple looks or for a wedding where the bride has a look change: one for ceremony and another for the reception, for example.
- Post work days are spent cleaning and disinfecting the kit and brushes to get ready for the next work day.
Hope this gave you a little insight as to what a day in the life of a freelance makeup artist/hairstylist looks like. Don't hesitate to ask any questions about what it is like behind the scenes at weddings or shoots too! I can definitely make another full post about that.