Your wedding day is one of the most important days of your life and your makeup and hair should be nothing but the best. Most brides don't know what to look for when booking an artist or what to ask for when they finally find an artist. So, below I will be providing some tips on what to look for in an artist and how to prepare for your bridal makeup and hair trial.
Bridal Trial Prep:
- Imagine how you want to feel on your wedding day (i.e glam, romantic, sophisticated) and find photos of makeup and hair that are similar to how you envision yourself on your wedding day.
- Make a Pinterest board of the images you love and if you happen to come across photos you DISLIKE, save those too, to show your artist what you DO NOT want. This can help the artist get a better understanding of your preferences if you have a difficult time describing what you want.
- Narrow it down to 2-3 images per hairstyle and makeup look. For hair photos, it's best to have images of both front and back. The front is what most people see first. So, it is important to consider this when choosing a style. For example: where do you want to part your hair (middle, side, deep side), maybe you don't want a distinguished parting, do you want any face framing pieces/tendrils, or perhaps you'd like all your hair back & away from your face. (Your artist will happily give their professional opinion if you are unsure.)
- Find a photo of your own hair and makeup that you felt your best in.
Finding an Artist:
- Does your vision match the artists work? Do you see yourself wearing a look that they have previously done? There are so many artists out there that specialize in certain bridal styles, but it's important to find your perfect fit.
- Referrals help a lot. Look to former brides that had amazing experiences or photographers for a list of their favorite vendors.
- Do your own research and read the reviews to get a sense of their personality and work ethic!
- Email or schedule a phone call with specific questions or concerns you have about your makeup and hair and the booking process (how to save the date, can they accommodate a big bridal party, do they offer on-location services)
- Schedule a trial run. See how they bring your vision to life. I believe it is best to schedule it for a special occasion, such as your engagement session to see how it will photograph or your bridal shower to see how it wears throughout the day.